5. Calling it something like “ramblings” or “musings.” That is sooo 20th Century!
4. Promoting it before there’s anything there to read. Give yourself at least a couple of weeks to post things before you start telling the world.
3. Not allowing comments or any other way for readers to find you.
2. Using a blog host that doesn’t give individual posts unique links. This seriously cuts down the chances of others wanting to link back when you post something really good.
1. No syndication feed. If you don’t have RSS or Atom available, and use it, then you don’t even have a blog.